Rentals in Gonzales were hard to come by, so when we found this house and it was a reasonable price and size, we snatched it up. Tom was the one who toured the home, but hadn't paid much attention to any of the details other than "could we make it work." What a shock we had when we moved in and realized the 3 bedroom/3 bath was really a 2 bedroom/3 bath with a bonus room downstairs. It was another shock to realize the 2nd bedroom was soooo small that there was no way the kids were all going to fit into it, so Tom and I decided to put the kids in the huge master bedroom, and we would take the 2nd bedroom.
With the extreme heat of summer, our pour little A/C could only manage to keep the upstairs at a minimum of 78 (on a good day). By evening, the upstairs was so hot that Shelby couldn't sleep well on the top bunk, so we put her mattress on the floor and this is how we've kept it. It's not ideal, but it works. As Tim Gunn from Project Runway says, "Make it work." It's a good piece of advice for life I've decided.
Each night before I go to bed, I check on the kids. For my own peace of mind, I have to check on them before I fall asleep, but the bonus is the funny positions I find them in.
Declan used to fall asleep with a birdie blanket on his face, but that has transitioned to a blanket on his head. He graduated from a crib to this mattress on the floor when we moved here. We've found him sleeping above his bed behind the bedroom door, sleeping on his bed with his head on his pillow which is on the floor, or sleeping on the floor using his mattress as a pillow. He falls off his bed most nights, so I'm glad we don't have an actually bed for him at this point.
Payden cracks me up because she always tends to scoot toward the hard edge of her bed. I often find her with one blanket under her head, sleeping with her head on the wood edge of the bed. If not that, her legs are dangling over the side or her whole body is resting against the hard edge. It can't be comfortable.
Taylor sleeps like a caterpillar in a cocoon ... every night . .. whether the room is 78 degrees or 66 degrees. She is crazy! In the summer, when she wakes, she is soaked with sweat. She is very imaginative, and I think sleeping like this helps her block everything out, so her mind and imagination don't get carried away, which at night tends toward things spooky and scary.
Shelby usually sleeps calmly, but lately I've found her with her blankets scooted down and her legs on top of them, so she looks like she's sitting on a chair with her back on the floor.
It's amazing how the little things like this can bring a smile to your face and a bit of joy and love to your heart. Love it!
2 comments:
I'm not sure how you took all those pictures without them waking up, but it's funny to see how they sleep! Bradley is such a light sleeper that I don't dare go in his room unless he's crying. I'm like Taylor, I have to have blankets on me even when it's hot and especially when Scott's gone and I'm alone in the bed.
Isn't it adorable how their personalities and preferences come out, even in their sleep?! Love the "Make it work" comments. I agree- that is a great credo!
Post a Comment