Monday, March 12, 2012

Spring Break

Spring Break started on Saturday with a trip to San Antonio to see The Lorax for Taylor's birthday.  We all loved the movie.  We decided we wanted to head to Houston for a simple and cheap getaway, but before we could head out, we had to go give talks in the branch in our stake because they don't have enough members.  It was a fun assignment.  The kids especially enjoyed it because a member of the branch presidency gave 2 candy bars to each kid after church.  It was also amazing to see how, no matter how big or small, our church is the same wherever you go.  

On Monday, we leisurely packed up to head to Houston.  After making an emergency trip to the office to help a patient, we were finally headed on our way.  We got there in the evening and just settled in.  As I was taking trash out, I found a snail on the garage.  I quickly called for the kids to come out to see.  


After much coaxing and some showing, the kids finally got enough courage to touch and pick up the snail.



It's definitely one of the "highlights" of Texas ... the amount of creatures you can find.  Although I definitely like snails more than other creatures we find here.


The kids LOVED watching the snail and were delighted when he pooed and slid away leaving a slime trail.


We initially planned some grand adventures, but we decided quiet and relaxation was what we needed.  We did head to another movie on Wednesday ... The Secret World of Arietty.  We also had one day doing nothing per Taylor's request.  She told us she was sick and tired of being in the car and wanted one day just at home.  I think we all enjoyed that day of doing absolutely nothing.  


4 comments:

mlauricella said...

I had so much fun playing with snails and slugs back in Texas. And the caterpillars too. The smallest things can make kids happy. I wish I were like that still!

David and Karin said...

Reminds me of the time I tried escargot - it totally messes with your mind to eat a snail! And I'm with Taylor - I often dream of spending an entire day without even getting out of bed. Just eat, watch TV, and sleep - maybe someday!

Loriann said...

I LOVE escargot Karin. And I think you now ruined it for me. I will forever now have these snail pics in my head while I try to eat them!

Adorable pictures all the same though...

The Shirleys said...

Wow! You have been busy. I haven't checked for a while but I am glad you are enjoying the beautiful Texas sites. I especially like the wild flower pictures.