Saturday, April 9, 2011

Marathon Kids

In September, the girls agreed to participate in Marathon Kids through their school.  The goal was to run 26.2 miles over the next few months in order to run at the final event in April.  Thanks to an awesome gym teacher the girls ran their 26.2 miles, so on Saturday morning we get dressed, hopped in the car, stopped at McDonald's for breakfast (nice and healthy), and headed to the University of Houston.  



Tom was excited to take the kids back to his alma mater.



We got there a bit earlier than planned, but, since we were one of the first ones there, we got to run our laps first ... definitely worth it.

The starting line


Happy faces ... we'd only just gotten there.  These quickly changed to bored, grumpy faces that kept asking "when's it going to start?"

A moody little 4 year old

She needed some hugs, but Mom's lap was full.

A moody little 2 year old.


Even though it was good to be there early, it meant a lot of waiting.


For some reason, my kids can't handle waiting ... at all.  I looked around, and our kids were the wiggliest kids around.  Unfortunately, some of the wiggling and craziness led to an injury.  Taylor cut her leg on the chain link fence and started having a melt down, insisting there was no way she was going to be able to run or even walk (Taylor FREAKS out over blood).  I finally asked about where we could get some bandaids, and so Tom and Taylor headed over to the orange first aid tent to get treated.

Notice ... she can't walk on the way to the first aid tent.  

The miracle of a bandaid ... now she can walk!
I asked Tom if she was the first injury of the day (we still waited 20 minutes after this before the event even started), but she was #2.

I always love seeing the skyline of downtown Houston from the UH campus.  

Finally, it was time to start.  There was some talking, some thanking of sponsors, a ceremonial first lap by invited students, some instructions, and the National Anthem played by a saxophone.

I was trying to get the saxophone player, but he was hidden behind the poles.  I did get one of Tom's favorite people ... the "DJ."

One of Tom's favorite things about the day was the "DJ."  They had music playing, and sometimes they would talk to us over the mic.  At one point, the guy talking asked the DJ to play the music louder ... but nothing happened.  The "DJ" was too busy talking and sitting about 20 feet away from the equipment.  That happened more than once.  Then as Tom and Taylor were returning from the first aid tent.  One of the speakers blew up and started pouring out smoke.  Of course the "DJ" was nowhere near the equipment and quickly ran over to put out the fire.  We just laughed and laughed.  I guess that's what kind of "DJ" comes when you're on a tight budget (Marathon Kids is funded through sponsors from local companies).

FINALLY, it was time to line up and run our two laps around the track.


The signal was given, and we were off.  It was pretty packed, and at times I was worried about the kids getting trampled.  We juggled kids back and forth, but in the end, Shelby, Payden, and Tom were ready to race to the finish line (until Payden got a cramp) while I stayed back with the injured Taylor (remember that SERIOUS cut on her leg) and Declan, who refused to even walk.  Just after crossing the finish line, we headed over to the prize area where the kids got medals (even Declan ... for having his parents carry him around the track), drinks, stickers, tattoos, coloring books, place mats, and a few things we forgot to pick up.

On the run with us was a boy who had his legs in braces and had to walk using a walker.  He moved so slowly, but he was such a champ and walked the entire two laps.  I pointed him out to Taylor to show her  you can accomplish anything if you put your mind to it.  Her bandaid was loose, so she needed some encouragement.  I told her if he can do it, then she could too ... and she did.

The finishers!!
We then headed back to the car and over to Shipley's for some donuts.


A two year old trying to drink and walk at the same time.  I ended up carrying him.

Holding up the sign for the UH Cougars and saying "Go Cougs" after the proper instructions from Dad.

Declan wanting to join  in on the fun.  
It was a fun day, and I'm glad the girls were willing to participate!  I'm also grateful for the fun programs like this that people are willing to organize.  They definitely make us all better and are a fun thing to do as a family.

No comments: